This important painting of a Black Haitian deputy, once enslaved, commemorates his participation in the assembly that abolished slavery in France in 1794. He wears the tricolored uniform of a deputy of the French National Convention and only his gold earring speaks to his Colonial ties.
- 1780-1789In 1780-1789, 18th century, decade overview
- 1770-1779In 1770-1779, 18th century, decade overview
- 1760-1769In 1760-1769, 18th century, decade overview
- 1750-1759In 1750-1759, 18th century, decade overview
- Beetle-Wing Embroidery in Nineteenth-Century FashionIn 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays