The Morgan Library & Museum’s collection of prints includes an extremely rare set of the world’s most radical fashion plates. Recently rediscovered, these revolutionary 1797-1804 pictures from the Journal des Dames et des Modes, in exceptionally good condition, have been digitized and edited in a website, Style Revolution.
“The Body: Fashion and Physique” explores fashion’s role in shaping and reflecting changing cultural ideals about the body through a selection of garments that highlight the origins and importance of contemporary body-positive trends.
A hub for fashion research with hundreds of essays on specific artworks, garments and films, the Fashion History Timeline equips students and researchers with essential facts, vocabulary, models of analysis, and links to digitized primary & secondary sources.
Today’s idea of political support is buying a t-shirt and promoting a specific candidate. However in the 1960s and 1970s, the idea that many clothes were handmade was a political statement on its own.
- froggingIn 18th century, 19th century, F, term definition
- Gucci Strikes Red: China’s Love Affair with GucciIn 2000-2009, 2010-2019, 21st century, thematic essays
- 1870In 1870-1879, 19th century, year overview
- 1866 – Silk afternoon dress with a trompe l’oeil bolero jacketIn 1860-1869, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1572 – Lucas de Heere, The Family of Henry VIII: An Allegory of the Tudor SuccessionIn 1570-1579, 16th century, artwork analysis