“The Body: Fashion and Physique” explores fashion’s role in shaping and reflecting changing cultural ideals about the body through a selection of garments that highlight the origins and importance of contemporary body-positive trends.
A hub for fashion research with hundreds of essays on specific artworks, garments and films, the Fashion History Timeline equips students and researchers with essential facts, vocabulary, models of analysis, and links to digitized primary & secondary sources.
Today’s idea of political support is buying a t-shirt and promoting a specific candidate. However in the 1960s and 1970s, the idea that many clothes were handmade was a political statement on its own.
- 1884 – Edgar Degas, The Singer in GreenIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1873 – Édouard Manet, The RailwayIn 1870-1879, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1880 – Mary Cassatt, Lydia Crocheting in the Garden at MarlyIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1887-1889 – Jean-Philippe Worth, Evening dressIn 1880-1889, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1865 – Cream silk taffeta evening dressIn 1860-1869, 19th century, garment analysis