“The Body: Fashion and Physique” explores fashion’s role in shaping and reflecting changing cultural ideals about the body through a selection of garments that highlight the origins and importance of contemporary body-positive trends.
A hub for fashion research with hundreds of essays on specific artworks, garments and films, the Fashion History Timeline equips students and researchers with essential facts, vocabulary, models of analysis, and links to digitized primary & secondary sources.
Today’s idea of political support is buying a t-shirt and promoting a specific candidate. However in the 1960s and 1970s, the idea that many clothes were handmade was a political statement on its own.
- 1733-34 – Jean Siméon Chardin, Soap BubblesIn 1730-1739, 18th century, artwork analysis
- 1910-1919In 1910-1919, 20th century, decade overview
- 1864In 1860-1869, 19th century, year overview
- 1859 – Gold silk day dress with floral brocadeIn 1850-1859, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1769 – Jean Honore Fragonard, A Woman With a DogIn 1760-1769, 18th century, artwork analysis