Women’s fashion was ornate above all else in 1855, with the hoop skirt reigning prominently in conjunction with brightly colored silks and satins accessorized with all varieties of tasteful trimmings.
Category: year overview
1863 saw the crinoline still reigning triumphant with full bell-shaped skirts and tiny, nipped-in corseted waists the ideal silhouette—in part due to the support of the French Empress Eugénie. In more avant-garde circles, some were beginning to abandon the crinoline.
The year 1870 was characterized by an extensive use of vibrant, contrasting colors and ostentatious trims, tassels, and flounces. Emphasis was now placed on individual style over the following of trends. By juxtaposing the desire to be fashionable for the moment with the desire to find what looks good on one’s self, society at large saw wide variety in interpretations of fashionable dress.
- AkweteIn 19th century, 20th century, A, Africa, term definition
- cochineal dyesIn 14th century, 15th century, 16th century, 17th century, 18th century, Americas, C, term definition
- wampumIn 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, Americas, term definition, W
- moccasinsIn 19th century, Americas, M, term definition
- labretIn 14th century, 15th century, 16th century, Africa, Americas, L, term definition