Trusting Park Avenue socialite Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) loses her husband to scheming shopgirl Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford), and can only win him back if she becomes as cunning as her so-called friends.
Category: film analysis
This film adaptation of Lillian Hellman’s play involves the corrupt dealings of a wealthy Southern family at the turn of the 20th century. The vicious Regina Giddens and her two greedy brothers scheme mercilessly in their attempt to make a fortune on a new cotton mill.
- 1884 – Edgar Degas, The Singer in GreenIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1873 – Édouard Manet, The RailwayIn 1870-1879, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1880 – Mary Cassatt, Lydia Crocheting in the Garden at MarlyIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1887-1889 – Jean-Philippe Worth, Evening dressIn 1880-1889, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1865 – Cream silk taffeta evening dressIn 1860-1869, 19th century, garment analysis