Trusting Park Avenue socialite Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) loses her husband to scheming shopgirl Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford), and can only win him back if she becomes as cunning as her so-called friends.
Category: film analysis
This film adaptation of Lillian Hellman’s play involves the corrupt dealings of a wealthy Southern family at the turn of the 20th century. The vicious Regina Giddens and her two greedy brothers scheme mercilessly in their attempt to make a fortune on a new cotton mill.
- 1855 – Franz-Xaver Winterhalter, The Empress Eugénie Surrounded by her Ladies-in-WaitingIn 1850-1859, 19th century, artwork analysis
- 1883 – Pierre Auguste Renoir, City Dance (Danse à la ville)In 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis
- poke bonnetIn 19th century, B, P, term definition
- Compartment Couture: New York City Department Stores 1850-1930In 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays
- Spanish farthingaleIn 15th century, 16th century, 17th century, F, S, term definition