Elizabeth Keckley, a remarkably successful dressmaker, built her career upon exacting technical standards, graceful clean lines, and an understanding of Parisian fashionable trends. She is well known for her work for the political elite of Washington DC, particularly for Mary Todd Lincoln. Keckley was one of the first African American women to publish a book and was an impassioned activist who created a relief organization for newly freed enslaved persons.
Category: designer profile
Our goal is to create profiles of important, lesser-known fashion designers. For resources on more contemporary designers, see our Zotero database.
No longer “society’s best kept secret” as the Saturday Evening Post called her, Ann Lowe is recognized as a pioneering African American couturier. Her pieces are preserved in renowned museum collections including the Smithsonian, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and The Museum at FIT.
The designer of many of Marimekko’s classic stand-out prints was Maija Isola, who famously abandoned conservative designs in favor of bold, graphic styles. Her work includes unique floral and nature-inspired designs, and is exhibited in museums including the Victoria and Albert Museum, Design Museum Copenhagen, and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Patrick Kelly was the first American designer ever to be admitted to the Chambre Syndicale du Prêt-à-Porter, which governs the French ready-to-wear industry. He unapologetically incorporated his Southern Roots, racial imagery, and expressions of Black joy into his designs; stating “I want my clothes to make you smile.”
- The Fez and the Ottoman Path to ModernityIn 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays
- 1869 – Red Silk DressIn 1860-1869, 19th century, garment analysis
- katazome (stencil printing)In 18th century, 19th century, ancient, Asia, K, P, S, term definition
- 1905 – André Derain, Lucien GilbertIn 1900-1909, 20th century, artwork analysis
- Inès Gâches-Sarraute and the Straight-Front CorsetIn 1890-1899, 1900-1909, 1910-1919, 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays