A highly successful artist in Amsterdam, Ferdinand Bol, much like Rembrandt, became known for the detailed characterization of his sitters–in particular his portraits of women. As is typical of a betrothal portraits, this image displays the sitter’s wealth through her lavish textiles and jewelry.
- 1997 – Besson, The Fifth ElementIn 1990-1999, 20th century, film analysis
- Norell: Flappers Back In FashionIn 1920-1929, 1960-1969, 20th century, LGBTQ+, thematic essays
- ByzantineIn Asia, Byzantine, culture overview
- backstrap loomIn Africa, Americas, B, L, term definition
- 1872 – House of Worth, Seafoam Green Silk GownIn 1870-1879, 19th century, garment analysis