1982 was a year filled with dramatic and bold fashions. The biggest trends of the year were statement patterns, exaggerated sleeves, broad power shoulders, vibrant colors, and oversized costume jewelry.
Princess Diana’s wedding dress, made by the Emanuel Salon, combines historical inspirations and a fairytale look with strict royal tradition. Its influence on the bridal world can still be seen today.
- 1860 – Cream silk evening dressIn 1860-1869, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1948-1987 – Willi SmithIn 1970-1979, 1980-1989, BIPOC, designer profile, LGBTQ+
- 1952 – Christian Dior, La CigaleIn 1950-1959, 20th century, garment analysis, LGBTQ+
- 1882 – John Singer Sargent, El JaleoIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis, LGBTQ+
- 1856 – Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, Madame MoitessierIn 1850-1859, 19th century, artwork analysis