In Winterhalter’s 1865 portrait, Empress Elizabeth of Austria (known as Sissi) wears a white satin evening dress covered with thousands of silver foil stars shimmering under the layer of tulle. The dress, thought to be designed by Worth, follows fashionable trends of the era, but also has singular touches, like the stars, befitting her status as Empress.
- 1780-1789In 1780-1789, 18th century, decade overview
- 1770-1779In 1770-1779, 18th century, decade overview
- 1760-1769In 1760-1769, 18th century, decade overview
- 1750-1759In 1750-1759, 18th century, decade overview
- Beetle-Wing Embroidery in Nineteenth-Century FashionIn 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays