In Winterhalter’s 1865 portrait, Empress Elizabeth of Austria (known as Sissi) wears a white satin evening dress covered with thousands of silver foil stars shimmering under the layer of tulle. The dress, thought to be designed by Worth, follows fashionable trends of the era, but also has singular touches, like the stars, befitting her status as Empress.
- 1952 – Christian Dior, La CigaleIn 1950-1959, 20th century, garment analysis, LGBTQ+
- 1882 – John Singer Sargent, El JaleoIn 1880-1889, 19th century, artwork analysis, LGBTQ+
- 1856 – Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, Madame MoitessierIn 1850-1859, 19th century, artwork analysis
- chantilly laceIn 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, 21st century, C, L, term definition
- 1788 – Jacques Louis David, Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier and Marie-Anne LavoisierIn 1780-1789, 18th century, artwork analysis