Pompeo Batoni became the premiere portraitist for 18th-century English, Irish and Scottish gentlemen during their visit to Rome on the Grand Tour, as seen in this portrait of an unknown young man.
In Hyacinthe Rigaud’s most famous portrait, Louis XIV shows the majestic power of an absolute monarch. He is wearing his coronation robe embroidered with the royal fleur de lys along with some key elements of Baroque style such as the cravat, red heels, and the wig.
- 1780-1789In 1780-1789, 18th century, decade overview
- 1770-1779In 1770-1779, 18th century, decade overview
- 1760-1769In 1760-1769, 18th century, decade overview
- 1750-1759In 1750-1759, 18th century, decade overview
- Beetle-Wing Embroidery in Nineteenth-Century FashionIn 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays