The Ballets Russes, a ground-breaking dance company at the beginning of the 20th century, took inspiration from ancient art and sculpture from Greece, Rome, and Egypt to create costumes, poses, and set designs as “Hymn to Apollo: The Ancient World and the Ballets Russes” explores.
The Morgan Library & Museum’s collection of prints includes an extremely rare set of the world’s most radical fashion plates. Recently rediscovered, these revolutionary 1797-1804 pictures from the Journal des Dames et des Modes, in exceptionally good condition, have been digitized and edited in a website, Style Revolution.
- 1780-1789In 1780-1789, 18th century, decade overview
- 1770-1779In 1770-1779, 18th century, decade overview
- 1760-1769In 1760-1769, 18th century, decade overview
- 1750-1759In 1750-1759, 18th century, decade overview
- Beetle-Wing Embroidery in Nineteenth-Century FashionIn 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, thematic essays