18th century women’s jacket, fitted around the torso and flared out after the waist.
This 1863 dress has a simple and standard silhouette for the period—buttoned bodice, wide sleeves, full skirt—but is made fashionable by the floral embroidery, sash, and “Mexican blue” color.
- 1840 – Queen Victoria’s Wedding DressIn 1840-1849, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1872 – Emile Pingat, Visiting DressIn 1870-1879, 19th century, garment analysis
- 1904 – John Singer Sargent, Lady Helen Vincent, Viscountess D’AbernonIn 1900-1909, 20th century, artwork analysis
- 1878 – James Tissot, EveningIn 1870-1879, 19th century, artwork analysis
- clocks/clockingIn 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, C, term definition