A woven rectangular shirt worn by women in Central America beginning in ancient times.
Cochineal dyes come from the Cochineal beetle that is native to the Americas and is most commonly found on prickly pear cacti. When dried and crushed it creates its famous red pigment that is used to dye textiles.
- pelete biteIn 19th century, 20th century, 21st century, Africa, B, P, term definition
- ikatIn 19th century, 20th century, I, term definition
- huipilli/huipilIn 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, Americas, ancient, H, term definition
- kenteIn 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, 21st century, Africa, K, term definition
- AkweteIn 19th century, 20th century, A, Africa, term definition