Charles James’ 1955 “Butterfly” gown features a body-conscious sculpted sheath and large bustle skirt, which is reminiscent of the tightly fitted bustle dresses of the early 1880s.
Galliano’s stringy suede shimmy dress from the 1996 F/W Baby Maker collection captured the originality and innovative qualities of Galliano’s work – but also the appropriation of Native American cultures that he indulged in at this time.
- 1997 – Besson, The Fifth ElementIn 1990-1999, 20th century, film analysis
- Norell: Flappers Back In FashionIn 1920-1929, 1960-1969, 20th century, LGBTQ+, thematic essays
- ByzantineIn Asia, Byzantine, culture overview
- backstrap loomIn Africa, Americas, B, L, term definition
- 1872 – House of Worth, Seafoam Green Silk GownIn 1870-1879, 19th century, garment analysis